Sunday, February 15, 2009

Poly-Bean Soup

posted by pink

navy and pinto beans, lentils
chopped tomatoes
spinach
onions
parsley
cilantro
salt
garlic
tomato paste or catsup
mustard

Soak beans and lentils, if needed. Place ingredients in large pot in desired quantities to taste, boil until desired taste and consistency is achieved.

Notes: This recipe is an excellent addition to the vegan diet. Its protein is from vegetable sources, so the calcium in the spinach and navy beans will not be lost to the leaching the occurs when calcium is consumed along with animal fat or animal protein. I like to fry my onions before adding them to the soup; and since I don't like them to disintegrate in the soup, I add them just before the soup is finished cooking. This is another one of those free-for-all in the kitchen recipes where I donot measure. I smell and I test the taste as I go along. The soup is hearty enough by itself, but I do enjoy a spoonfool or two of rice mixed into it.

No comments: